Thursday, May 1, 2008

"Old Lady!"

Ok, I have to share something. At my 5:30 a.m. swim practice this morning, a friend and teammate of mine shared with me something that made me a little mad. Last Sunday, I went out to Lake Afton to train on my own while my teammates trained in another town. I couldn't be with them due to the fact that my babysitting arrangements were already made for our original Lake Afton plan, then our coach changed her mind at the last minute to go somewhere else. No big deal. I was going to do the same workout, only by myself.

The workout plan was...a 16 mile bike ride, 5K run, 16 mile bike ride, and another 5K run. I had successfully completed the first 16 mile bike and 5K run when the Kansas River Valley Tri Team showed up out there to train also. As I was finishing my run, they had just finished their swim and were getting ready to bike. I was getting my bike all ready for my second ride, when one of the team members asked if I wanted to join them? So I said ok. Well, little did I know these were some of the BEST riders in Wichita! We got out on the road and they took off never to slow down for the remainder of the ride! I went through a series of emotions ranging from "what was I thinking?!" to "I think I'm going to puke or cry". But, I kept at it and made it through. It turned out to be a great experience and I wouldn't mind doing it again. I say that now that I've had the chance to recover!

On this ride there happened to be a trainer and experienced triathlete from one of our local health clubs. She is twenty-two years old. I have met her a few times and never gotten the feeling that she liked me all that much. Oh yes, and I BEAT her at the triathlon a couple of weeks ago!

Well, last Sunday, I said hello to her and thought this might be a good chance to get to know her a little better, but then we were riding so fast, talking was pretty much out. I was ahead of her for the first part of the ride, but she later passed me and I was perfectly comfortable hanging out in the back with the other boys. No biggie. The ride ended and all was good.

Apparently, she told my friend that I was ahead of her for a while, but she "wasn't going to let some old lady" beat her up anymore hills! She called me an OLD LADY! I still can't believe this comment! Little Miss Trainer Girl better watch out for this "old lady" from here on out! She is going to be seeing a lot of my behind!

Nothing better to motivate me than a comment like that! See ya at the next race Little Miss Trainer Girl!

Thanks for listening everyone. I feel better now!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Give 'em hell girl! Do it for all us 30-somethings!

Danna said...

LOL Amy... Make her feel what it is like to be beat by "an old lady". (She has a lot to learn... I take it she hasn't had children yet ;-)