Saturday, February 2, 2008

How it all "vegan"


I've always been interested in nutrition. At one point in my life, I actually wanted to be a registered dietician. I teach about nutrition in my biology class. But, it wasn't until recently when I started to get serious about my sports training that I started to really focus on what I ate. Then, I read a book by Jane Goodall called "Harvest for Hope". This book really made an impact on me. (Jane is one of my heroes! Yeah, that is me talking to Jane above.) I knew I needed to make a change in what I ate, not only for my health, but for the health of our environment. So, today I began a trial run of being a vegetarian. At first I thought I would try to do the whole vegan thing, but that is close to impossible! And, after trying some vegan cheese, I decided against it! More power to those people! I will continue to eat some cheeses and eggs occasionally. Just no meat, period. Whenever possible, as I have for a while now, I will try to always eat organic foods. My biggest concern is to cut hydrogenated fats, additives, and preservatives completely out of my diet. I don't want chemicals, antibiotics, and hormones in my food. I know I need to decrease my caffine consumption, but I'm addicted to coffee, so I will work on this gradually! Here are some of the products I purchased today as part of my switch to being a vegetarian. I'm going to try it seriously for two weeks and then evaluate how I'm doing to see whether I can honestly make the commitment.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow! This is a surprise. Although I'm sure I couldn't make it one day as a vegetarian, I applaud and support your decision. Does this mean no more sushi? Like Kurt Cobain said, it's OK to eat fish, 'cause they don't have any feelings.

Harrison looks completely pumped about these new groceries, by the way ...