Thursday, January 10, 2008

Fun at Work, Fun at Play

I am one of those fortunate people who loves their job. This wasn't always the case. I worked at a boring bank job for a while. I also taught at a public school that almost made me want to quit teaching all together (and it wasn't because of the kids). It was a phone call from a lady named Bunny that changed my world one summer evening in 2000. Now, eight years later, here I am, in a career, and school that makes me happy. Now, don't get me wrong. This isn't some cushy, do-nothing job. I live and breathe this job during the school year. My co-workers are more like family members. We take care of each other and bug each other just like real family members do from time to time. I also don't just have two children. I have 70 children...all adolescents! It really is a fun job. So, here is a special thank you to my co-workers that have mentored, guided, supported, and pushed me for the past few years to be a good teacher and greater person. The group shown below is the 7th Grade team at my school. We ARE the best and funnest team in the middle school! In this photo we are in our daily "meeting" where we discuss problems, successes, students and plan units. Pictured is Dave, our "Tennis God" and History teacher (Maddy LOVES Dave who coached her in tennis last summer); John, our Latin instructor; Devon, our math teacher and team leader who always keeps us on task! ;); and Cindy, our English instructor. What a group!Now, when the work day is done, the people below help push me and mentor me in other ways...on the bike and through running. I had so much fun last fall hanging out with these guys, that when I was asked if I wanted to be a mentor for the Team In Training Cycling Team, I couldn't resist! Go TEAM! As you can see, it is strictly business at our meetings here too.

1 comment:

Danna said...

Hey Amy,
I am glad that you are so happy at work and at play, it makes for a good family life too.
Have a great week, Danna