Friday, December 21, 2007

My Passion!

I've been running for years. I've never been fast, I've just always loved running. This is where I've done by best thinking. It is a cheap sport and cheap counseling. I ran while pregnant with both of my children. I run while on vacation everywhere I go (what a great way to see a new place). I run with both of my children now (thank God for the double babyjogger). I run in the heat. I run in the cold. I will run until I just can't do it anymore.


However, I have found a new love...biking! This sport caught me off guard last fall when I joined a health club. I met the most incredible woman. This lady is a professional triathlete. She also is motivating! After one spin class with her, I was addicted. One thing led to another and next thing you know, I bought a road bike and was on the verge of changing my life forever.

Through this two-wheeled vehicle, I have met some of the most inspiring people I know. They have given me the encouragement to push myself and better myself in many ways. I did not realize that I had such potential to crank the wheels of a bike so well. Even better, the more I bike, the better I run! So with that, I want to thank all those people who told me to "go for it". Sharon, the "tri queen" who is going to whip me into shape this spring. Travis, my cycling coach who whipped me into shape for the Tour de Tucson. Don, who always challenges me up a hill. Ria, who has always told me I could do it...and now she is going to join me. Travis, Dale, and Dave for the "hammer rides". Amy "Preacher" who was the only other girl that challenged me. And all my family, friends, co-workers and students who supported my big race last fall.


Now, I'm doing it again! I'm raising money for Leukemia and Lymphoma by preparing for the Philadelphia Triathlon in June. Don't worry. I'm hitting up corporate sponsors this time. This is so exciting for me. This is something I love to do. Helping raise funds to support cancer research is a way for me to give back. Meeting the people who have used that money is sobering. Riding with people who are passionate about something like myself is fulfilling. Crossing the finish line is awesome!




The Tour de Tucson Team In Training Group at the finish line. One hundred and nine miles completed. Go Team Kansas!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I still bet I can beat you in a 100-yard dash!